Executive Functioning – Difficulty Transitioning Between Activities
Me is in gym class and doesn’t understand why Coach keeps blowing his whistle. Me wants to play ball and has difficulty ending this activity, but eventually complies. Coach blows his whistle very loud one last time and Me responds with anger. Transitions are hard for Me.
While viewing a “Challenge”, consider the following questions:
- What is happening in this scene?
- What is expected of Me?
- Using your knowledge of FASD, which brain domains/functions are experiencing challenge?
- What is a common interpretation (explanation) of Me’s behaviour?
- What are Me’s strengths that can be built on?
- What accommodations or strategies could create a better fit for Me, or What did Me need from others?